Tuesday, January 20, 2009

CFL Light Bulbs and Mercury in Your Home

photography lightsAs a REALTOR®, I feel that it's a large part of my job, to look out for, and educate my clients, and potential clients about anything relating to their homes, or any real estate they may be buying or selling. In light of this sense of duty, I felt an obligation to share what I know about the new CFL light bulbs that are supposed to be more environmentally friendly than the ones we've been using for our entire lives (pretty much).

I don't know if everyone is aware of the fact that the new CFL light bulbs contain mercury. I've known this for a while, but it seems like the EPA and the government pushing the new CFL light bulbs on us, are deliberately not stating all the facts.

I guess the question that remains, once you've discovered that outdoor lampsthere is mercury is this supposedly eco-friendly bulb is, are you OK with that? Have you asked yourself the important questions, such as, what happens when one breaks in your home? Here are a few facts about the cleanup process...

  • All pets and humans should immediately leave the room.
  • Central heat and air units should be turned off immediately.
  • No one should re-enter the room for a minimum of 15 minutes.
  • Glass particles and mercury dust should be scooped up with something solid and place in a glass jar with a metal lid, or sealed bag.
  • Remains should then be taken to a toxic waste dump!
  • Even if the bulb is not broken, do not through it in the trash because it will break in transit to the dump. They must always be taken to a toxic waste dump!

I made the following video on this topic, for my YouTube channel and subscribers. I discuss these points in the video, and I included links to scientific data about these so-called "environmentally friendly" light bulbs. And yes, It's a little bit long, but I made the video for my YouTube subscribers (and they don't mind), then decided to use it in this blog, rather than the other way around. But you can find plenty of info in a Google search, if you'd like to do your own research. I'm not in any way exaggerating the facts! If anything, I didn't place enough emphasis on the problems.

For all your real estate needs, make a Smart Choice and contact Lisa Hill.

Get all your real estate information here.

Lisa C Hill with Adams Cameron Realtors The Smart Choice for all your real estate needs

list real estate with lisa hill and adams cameron realtors and get it sold


Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

No comments:

Post a Comment